Monday, June 23, 2014

The Standard of Truth

So I am NOT getting transferred! After this transfer I will have been here for 9 months, or in other words, that's a mission-baby. I'm still with my wonderful companion Hermana Macias!

So a few miracles this week!

We were out walking and tracting along Lancaster drive. We met a few nice people here and there, a few not-so-nice ones here and there, and we ended up turning around and heading back to our car that was parked a mile away in order to get to our appointment on time. We were a little bit in a rush, so we were quickly pacing back. A man and his daughter heading toward us also appeared to be in a rush, but I had an urge to talk to them. He was walking fast, with headphones in, and we were thiiiiiiiiiis close to not opening our mouths. He was just barely
about to get out of our distance until out of nowhere - and I mean out of nowhere - I feel the words "hola, como está?" escape my mouth. He stopped for a second, and I was waiting for the usual, "thanks but no thanks" or "I'm too busy" or "I'm in a rush" but instead I maintained eye contact until he answered the question. A huge grin grew on his face and he says, "wait, I know you guys! You are the Mormons! My niece is Mormon. The boy missionaries have been teaching me a little bit whenever I visit South Salem, where my niece lives."

It turns out this man, Gabino, and his 7-year-old daughter, Zionmara, have been to the temple visitor's center and even church a few times. He's a single dad and absolutely adores his daughter. He walked with us back to our car and gave us all his information! He lives up here in North Salem and doesn't go see his niece too often. We went to their apartment few days later and invited them to church.

And they came!

At church, we had a wonderful announcement:

The Keizer Spanish branch and the South Salem branch have become a ward! This means we will have our own Primary, Young Men's and Young Women's classes. We will have a bishop. And perhaps most importantly we will have so many members congregating together!

(This also means that Gabino will be going to church with his niece.)

After church, he called us to thank us. He said he loved seeing his daughter sooo happy, and told us it would be an honor if we ever stopped by his house again.

It's been amazing to see the growth just on my mission alone: Cornelius getting a Spanish branch, Salem getting a ward. The work is hastening. And it's going faster than ever!

A quick testimony that I know that there Is no truer, happier work than the work of The Lord - sometimes the results of the work and efforts you've put in won't come immediately. Sometimes it won't come until after we're long gone. But it doesn't matter. Miracles will happen. The work has begun and it isn't ever going to stop.

"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.” - the Prophet Joseph Smith

Love you all!

Hermana Blanchard

No comments:

Post a Comment